As we age, our hands can give away our true age, despite our best efforts to keep our face looking youthful. Dark spots, wrinkles, prominent veins and thinning skin can make our hands look older than we feel. However, hand rejuvenation can help turn back the clock and restore the youthful appearance of our hands.
Hand Rejuvenation refers to a collection of procedures that help improve the appearance of aging hands. Hands are amongst the areas of the body that reveal signs of aging just as much as our facial skin. As we age, our skin loses collagen and elastin, substances that keep our skin firm and plump. As a result causing veins, bones, and tendons appear more pronounced, while sun exposure can cause unsightly age spots or dark spots to develop over time.
Benefits of Hand Rejuvenation
- Reduces signs of aging, such as wrinkles and hyperpigmentation
- Improves the texture and tone of the skin on the hands
- Restores a youthful and refreshed appearance to the hands
- Boosts confidence and self-esteem
Why Undergo Hand Rejuvenation?
Hand rejuvenation treatments can provide a youthful appearance for the hands as the soft tissue volume in the hands is gradually depleted during the natural aging process. These treatments are typically very similar to using the same skin care procedures designed to enhance the face.
Laser skin resurfacing reduces dark spots and pigmentation, while filler injections add volume to the treated areas to help with lost collagen. From chemical peels to fat transfers for the hands, there are plenty of cosmetic procedures to improve the aesthetics of hands.
Fat Grafting and Injectable Fillers
Injectable fillers formulated with hyaluronic acid or calcium hydroxyapatite are an effective way to plump the back of the hands and restore lost volume. In addition to injectables like Radiesse® and Restylane® Lyft, our team also offers a more natural alternative known as fat grafting. Both of these options can provide very natural-looking results.
- RADIESSE®: The first filler of its kind, Radiesse is FDA-approved to restore volume loss in the back of the hands. By placing small injections under the skin, the hands achieve a more supple appearance. Results from Radiesse have been shown to last for about 1-2 years. In addition to its immediate effects, the injectable stimulates collagen production for continued improvement.
- Restylane Lyft: This hyaluronic acid (HA) gel injectable is used to add volume to the back of the hands. This dermal filler is designed to fill wrinkles and add fullness to aging hands for a more youthful appearance. Results from Restylane Lyft injections in the hands typically last about 6 months and require more frequent upkeep compared to Radiesse.
- Fat Grafting: A more permanent and natural alternative, fat grafting, also referred to as fat transfer, involves taking a small amount of excess fat from another area of your body and transferring it into the back of your hands to correct the loss of volume. This technique to harvest fat is similar to liposuction common in plastic surgery. These fat injections help plump the hands where the skin has begun to thin, creating a more natural rejuvenation. Extra fatty tissue may be injected to help make up for the small amount that is naturally absorbed by the body over the first weeks.
- Skin Rejuvenation Treatments: These treatments, such as chemical peels, laser treatments and microdermabrasion, remove the outer layer of dead skin to reveal smoother, more youthful skin underneath. Sclerotherapy can be used to reduce any prominent veins on the back of the hands.
While results from injectable fillers can last for a year or two, patients can choose to schedule follow-up treatments to maintain their rejuvenated hand appearance.
How Long Does Hand Rejuvenation Last?
The effects of hand rejuvenation will vary depending on the type of procedure performed and the individual results will vary as each individual’s healing process differently. Unfortunately, none of these non-surgical techniques are permanent and your hands will continue to show signs of aging as you get older.
Dermal fillers in the hands typically last at least 9 months, but in most cases you’ll still notice the effect up to 12 months.
The fillers slowly break down over time and are filtered out of the body, so this type of treatment needs to be repeated annually. Fortunately, the results of dermal fillers are seen almost immediately following the procedure.
Fat grafting is considered the most permanent and natural procedure for a more natural outcome and results will last years but will require upkeep as hands continue to age. The plumpness of the hands can improve with these fat grafting techniques.
Laser Skin Resurfacing, also known as IPL is also a temporary treatment and blemishes on your skin should gradually begin to fade, improving skin tone; however, these procedures aren’t permanent as our bodies continue to age.
As we continue to age and continue to enjoy the sun, our bodies will continue to show signs of aging. While the brown spots/ sunspots and discolorations that were corrected using laser therapy or IPL will continue to look better, other spots may arise over time.
Pros and Cons of Hand Rejuvenation
Several advantages and disadvantages of hand rejuvenation and enhancements may include:
- There are plenty of cosmetic choices available to enhance the hands
- Various treatments can cause hand veins to look much less noticeable
- Hands can be enhanced to look younger, plumper, and fuller with a smoother appearance free of dark spots
- It may require several treatments to receive optimal results
- The recovery period may involve swelling, stiffness, bruising, and discomfort, which can hamper the usage of the hands for a short period of time
- Individuals with excess sun exposure or conditions such as diabetes that may cause slow healing may not receive as dramatic and long-lasting results